At Airway Science for Kids (ASK) we’re all about kids, aviation, space, drones, robotics, and 3D printing!
Our goal is to introduce children from historically underserved communities to a potential future in science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics (STEAM) in ways that are not only accessible but also fun. Right now, that means flying drones, playing Kerbal Space Program, using flight simulators, building and programming robots, building planes (both paper and full-sized), and more. We want to create a world where kids can see themselves in role models with similar backgrounds, interests, and experiences as them, and to do that we have to start with us. Learn more about us at www.airsci.org!
We are currently seeking an Education Program Coordinator for the following location:
The Education Program Coordinator provides support and assistance in developing educational programs, including instructional support and implementation. This role will also manage the part-time educator’s and volunteers’ schedules and collaborate to provide content.
- Minimum 1 year of experience developing educational programs, including instructional support and implementation in a professional setting.
- After-school programming experience preferred.
- Access to reliable transportation and the ability to travel around the local area required.
- Passion for encouraging young people in the field of aviation, science, mathematics and/or engineering.
- Criminal background check required, per state and local regulations
- Experience in STEAM or aviation is a plus, but not required!
- $17 to $20 per hour, commensurate with experience
- Benefits package to include medical, dental, paid time off, paid holidays, and more!
- This is a hybrid position and requires both on-site and remote work
- Full-time/40 hours per week: The workweek is Tuesday through Saturday, with some work in the evenings and on holidays required
- The opportunity to share STEAM education with youth in underserved communities
- An understanding of aviation and aviation history preferred;
- Successful experience working with and motivating youth of all abilities and demographics;
- Demonstrated excellent computer, communication, public speaking, and writing skills;
- Demonstrated organizational, filing, and data entry skills;
- Desire and ability to become knowledgeable in program topics, specifically as it pertains to STEAM school programs;
- Ability to work under pressure and work flexible hours;
- Passion for encouraging young people in the field of aviation, science, mathematics and/or engineering;
PROGRAM COORDINATING, including but not limited to:
- Assist with coordination of educational programs for the public;
- Work to ensure that educational programs are developed and maintained which are responsive to the needs of the community and educational partners;
- Coordinate school outreach and schedule school field trips;
- Assist with the development and implementation of operating policies as necessary or to ensure that PFEC is working in an efficient manner;
- Assist with ordering and maintaining supplies and equipment;
- Promote a positive image of ASK in all interactions and activities;
FUND DEVELOPMENT and OUTREACH, including but not limited to:
- Collaborate with ASK staff facilitating fund development activities, including personal solicitations and fundraising events;
- Assist ASK staff in coordinating an annual fundraising event;
- Collaborate with ASK staff to promote visibility and general support for ASK in the local, regional, and national community, through strategic marketing and communication activities
VOLUNTEER COORDINATING, including but not limited to:
- Assist with recruiting and managing volunteers and ensure that policies and procedures are adhered to;
- Assist with training and maintain a climate that attracts and motivates diverse, qualified volunteers
POSITIVE INTELLIGENCE (PQ), Training & Participation
Every staff member at Airway Science is required to go through Positive Intelligence (PQ) training, consisting of participating in a bi-weekly pod meeting. At Airway Science you will learn about the most recent research on neuroplasticity—the ability of the brain to change even in adulthood— this reveals that as you develop new habits, you rewire the brain. Engaging in one brief positive exercise every day for as little as three weeks can have a lasting impact. Research-based tools strengthen the part of your brain that serves you and quiet the part that sabotages you. This type of mental fitness allows you to handle life’s challenges with a more positive mindset, and less stress. It will also prevent compassion burnout which is common in the nonprofit environment.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office, airport hangar, and local classroom environment with moderate physical activity; workweek includes Tuesday through Saturday with nights and holidays as required; Attendance at PFEC and community events required; Occasional travel and off-site work required for meetings, public speaking, outreach programs, and other ASK-related activities.
Directly supervises: PFEC Volunteers
How to apply
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line of your email.
Airway Science for Kids is an equal-opportunity employer. BIPoC and individuals typically underrepresented in the STEAM industries are encouraged to apply.